Bill Bennett wrote:

> When I changed to Linux, I was in the process of teaching myself
> a computer language, viz., QBasic---which is, unfortunately, etc.
>
> Has anybody had any experience with a Linux analogue?

There are a couple of Basic interpreters around for Linux. Do a search
on freshmeat.net for 'basic language' and it turns up about 5 or so.
There's

Gnome Basic <http://www.gnome.org:65348/gb/> and

KBasic <http://www.kbasic.de/>, both of which are more or less
attempting to create a Visual Basic for Linux.

Then there's a bunch of scripting languages built on Basic like

<http://www.bwbasic.com/home.html>

<http://www.scriptbasic.com>

Then there's a more traditional, 1970s style basic at

<http://probasic.sourceforge.net/> (I like this one, reminds me of my
Apple IIC :-)

So you can have a look at these if you like. One thing you'll find is
that most of them are fairly young projects, and so aren't yet really
suitable for writing anything large in. I personally haven't looked at
the Visual Basic style projects, but I've played with some of the other
interpreters and I enjoy them cause I can muck about with 10 year old
program listings from magazines and stuff. But that's about all at the
moment.