----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Waugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Sydney Linux Users Group" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 10:32 PM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] DSL / Linux Friendly ISPs?

snip

> Perhaps. Saying you can get "all" the benefits is a bit of a white lie
> though.

Would you accept "innocent white lie"?

> Even given what you can achieve, I certainly wouldn't entrust anything
> important to a dynamic DNS service.

Jeff

I recognise that keeping a URL up requires a functioning dynamic DNS service
and client, but I am not quite clear why you say that you wouldn't entrust
anything important to it. I agree it would not be suitable for a site that
gets hundreds of hits per minute but it would be adequate for small
businesses with much lower volumes.

A fixed IP _is_ easier. I note that companies like GPM Internet
http://www.gpm.net.au/services.html are making their living in this area
while we wait for Telstra to get serious about it all.

"Our emphasis on the use of permanent connections in conjunction with
customer-based proxy/mail servers, provides either limited or full Internet
functionality to all workstations on your LAN."

David