Richard was once rumoured to have said:
> Dear All
>
> > I've not tried SuSE - and it's pretty unlikely I'll try it - but we had
> > awful trouble with SuSE and Red Hat's PCMCIA support here...
>

> I was afraid that someone might say this :(

[Mucho ranting snipped]

> Still can't get a Debian notebook to boot without a NASA certified
> computing expert to tell us what to do.

?!!!  You'd be one of a very very *VERY* small number.

I've gotten debian's PCMCIA to work first time, out of the box, on my
Telxon PTC-1194 (TI CardBus) and on a Toshiba Satalite Pro 490X-CDT
(After disabling CardBus - mind you, this was back in '98 and CardBus
was not very well supported back then).

Its not rocket science.  Its not even difficult.

When you install base, the pcmcia package matches the kernel and
modules on the associated install disk.  If you recompile your kernel,
you must recompile the PCMCIA modules.  This isn't quite so bad with
2.4.x, since PCMCIA is now in the kernel [but you still need pcmcia
card services].

Just be sure, after rebooting, that you don't accept the "You don't
appear to have PCMCIA, do you want to remove the pcmcia package?"
prompt - this is a known bug in the installer.

The only blues I've had is that the Telxon is a
little... well... weird.  I only have one free IRQ for PCMCIA cards,
and so I have issues when I try to use the PCMCIA modem at the same
time as my ATA CF cards.  IRQ7 is no-op for PCMCIA on this laptop (you
can assign it, but the system won't see the card's interrupts), and
there are other little issues too it would seem.

> Im afraid that this is the best effort that an international team of
> engineers and computer scientists can manage in the UK.

<nark>
  They obviously know nothing about getting systems up in the first
  place.
</nark>

C.