<quote who="Rick Welykochy">

> a question for you apt-getters: does the situation ever
> arise where apt-get gets way too ehtusiastic for your liking,
> and goes on an interminable installation spree that winds up
> screwing up your installed system?

Absolutely. Especially if it has anything to do with Perl. However, it only
ever happens once in a blue moon, and only on testing or unstable. I've
never seen a stable package barf anything unseemly up (if fact, on just
about every stable machine I set up, there's a cron job emailing me the
results of an automatic update).

> I wuz always very afraid of Winblows auto-updates doing that,
> so have *never* recommended that to lusers. As well, I've found
> autorpm to be quite scary and stooooopid.

Try testing some time (unstable can be a hassle now and then, and there's a
lot of packages coming in all the time, so it's a big download commitment.)

- Jeff

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] --------------------------------- http://linux.conf.au/ --

                  ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.