On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 03:00:59PM +1000, DaZZa ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Folks.
>
> I've got a recent problem with my video card which appears in both X and
> text mode, and is giving me the irrits.
>
> What basically happens is that I get shadowing right across the screen of
> every character - so in text mode it looks like I have dark lines across
> the screen at the levels of the text, and in X I get a complete shadowed
> image which spreads right across the screen.
>
> Anyone got any clues as to what may be causing it?

This is only good guess, but the smallest magnetic interference will
cause this (its called ghosting); the image is basically twice on the
screen (or more).

 * do you have two monitors near each other?
 * make sure that the video cable (from pc to screen) is not
   close to the power cable or other high voltage cables.
 * swap the ends of the cable
 * swap the video cable
 * move the monitor
 * move the card NEXT to it into a different slot
 * keep the PCI slot next to it free

The same effect you can see with high metal based buildings which
reflect the TV signal and you get two signal (time delayed).

If you cant fix it change the frequency until the effect disappears.

jobst

--
Read my lips: "I'm Lying."

|            __, Jobst Schmalenbach, [EMAIL PROTECTED], Technical Director|
|  _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L      |
|-(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia|