It really blew my mind when Richard Blackburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Anyone ever played an instrument through the sound card?

Yes.

> Specifically I want to plug an electric guitar into a Red Hat 7.x box.
> Does one just activate a MIDI program or is there something special
> and/or mystical about it? I don't want to blowup the computer.

Guitars (generally) don't produce Midi output so a Midi recorder is not
going to do you any good.

You could record the guitar with an audio program like Sweep (it's author
Conrad Parker is a SLUG member) and record it using that using the line
input of the sound card. However, guitars are rather finicky beasts and
are unlikely to be happy being plugged straight into a sound card. If you
have an effects pedal of some sort (just about anything but a compressor
would probably be best) this would help greatly.

Hope this helps,
Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yes it's valid)
Everything that I've learned about computers I have boiled
down into three principles:
  PC/Windows: You think it won't work, and it won't.
  Macintosh: You think it will work, but it won't.
  Unix: You think it won't work, but if you find the right
        guru, you can make it work.