----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Blackburn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Sydney Linux Users Group" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2001 5:08 PM
Subject: [SLUG] Music Penguin Please

> Anyone ever played an instrument through the sound card?
> Specifically I want to plug an electric guitar into a Red Hat 7.x box.
> Does one just activate a MIDI program or is there something special
> and/or mystical about it? I don't want to blowup the computer.
> Richard

Its already been mentioned that MIDI is not what you are after so....

If you want some decent sounds you'll need a guitar amp with either a line
out, headphone socket or an effects send/return loop that you can feed into
the line input on your sound card or any number of a million combination of
things.

More likely,however you just want to get the sound onto the computer so you
can fiddle with it and make very little noise in the process.

In this case an overdrive of some description with a "level" knob or volume
pedal are the simplest and most effective (and useful for other things as
well) just experiment with the output/input levels so it sounds right

Failing that if you have a sound system of some description with a line
input and a headphone jack you can try feeding the guitar through it before
going into the sound card, its clumsier and probably won't make it much
better, but it depends on your sound system and sound card.

If you do want some decent tones to record before it gets to th computer,
then its a little more complicated and I'll need some idea of what gear you
have (amp,mics,etc).

----Gareth Walters