> 1) GPS receivers are not accurate enough.

Untrue. Not military grade, granted, but my eMap is accurate to 5.0 metres with 7
satellites, using either the inbuilt or external antennae. I have had instances where
I have had 8 satellites and the accuracy increased to 3.0 metres, but these are the
exception rather than the rule.

> 2) GPS receivers are not reliable enough.

Untrue. The eMap (and, to a certain extent, eTrek) from Garmin regularly take a
pounding in Marvin the Urban Assault Vehicle, and get kicked around and dropped at
home, and have NEVER failed to perform.

> 3) GPS receivers have a coverage like mobile phones = big holes.

Partially true, depending on buildings and tree cover. Lesser effects are felt if you
use the external antenna (fixed to helmet, perhaps ?)

> 4) GPS receivers do not have the capacity (waypoints) = required laptop.

Mostly true - although the eMap has lasted me from Bowen Mountain to Maitland and back
- it all depends on your speed. Greater Speed = more distance between TRACK points (as
opposed to WAYpoints)= greater distance.

> 5) Cost - software - very expensive, or Grass

There are several Linux and Evilware apps that are available gratis - see
www.gpss.co.uk for a good Evilware one, and he's open to someone doing an X version of
it.

> 6) Cost - labour - who is going to pay the person to process the data?

Yes, this is A Bugger...

> Is anyone interested in this sort of thing? - i.e doing an open source
> activity?
>
> Bicycle Australia (http://www.woa.com.au/ba) has basically decided the
> way forward for them is currently just to direct people to existing
> commercial maps and later put some maps, as A5 landscape images, onto
> WWW pages for people to download and print off themselves. Currently
> each would need to be digitized and created as a graphic. It would be
> better however, it there was an online GIS system that people could just
> create the map they want.

As long as they pay their road taxes, then......:-)

Joking !!!

Jon