Jon Biddell wrote:

...snip....

> The last GLIS survey was 1994, I believe, and that data is quite out of date (it was
>in 1995 !!).

Umm, I think they last fully covered the country in 1945 - it really
depends on the date of the last map produced.

> I've been trying to get updated data for my Garmin eMap GPS for the last 6 months,
>as the stuff that Garmin were able to get suffers from a data translation problem -
>if the data is in (for example) AUS1994 format, and they converted it to NMEA or
>GARMIN format for the GPS, it shows points as being up to 500 metres out.

How is it out?
What co-ordinates system are you using?
I understadn that there have been some changes

Do you know that Australia changed from AMG to GDA a few years ago?
I have no idea on the "adjustments" to Australia spheroids/? to GPS
systems, but I understand that there has been a few.

...snip....

> To get the same accuracy as, for example, the USA enjoys (wether it be mapping CDs,
>GPS data or... *gasp*... M$ Roadmap) would cost you thousands of dollars, as it's not
>"public domain" in this country, whereas almost every other country on this planet
>that uses this makes it available either free or for a VERY minimal fee.

The US makes it available for the cost of delivery. Most other
countries, in the world, do not have any data. It is mainly a thing with
the industrialised world, so far.

   email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  www: http://www.woa.com.au
   Wombat Outdoor Adventures <Bicycles, Books, Computers, GIS>