On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Doug Stalker wrote:

> I'm currently trying to get PoPToP working, but it's coming up with an error
> on the server:
> Dec 11 12:13:58 legba pppd[10845]: The remote system is required to
> authenticate itself
> Dec 11 12:13:58 legba pppd[10845]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret
> (password) for it to use to do so.
> Dec 11 12:13:58 legba pppd[10845]: (None of the available passwords would
> let it use an IP address.)
>
> I've commented out ALL:PARANOID in /etc/hosts.deny, but there was no change.
>
> How can I get the server to accept the connections?
>
> Server: Debian Woody, 2.2.17 kernel
> Client: Windows 98 using built in VPN

There's something you had to have in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets from memory.
Think it was that you had to specify 'pptp' in the server field. The
errors it gives aren't really helpful. On a RedHat 6.2 system we didn't do
any stuffing around with tcp wrappers either, we did however have to make
sure we allow GRE packets through the firewall. GRE is some other IP
protocol (ie same level as ICMP, UDP, TCP & those characters).

--
Web: www.arcadia.au.com/gripz