On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 12:17:56AM +1100, Craige McWhirter wrote:
> On Sat, 2001-12-15 at 13:03, Crossfire wrote:
>
> > mpg123 is your friend.
>
> ogg123? ;)
>
> > If I recall correctly, it can play back full rate on a 486DX2/66, and
> > *nearly* full rate on a 486SX/33 (IIRC).  I used to use a few
> > inventive patches to downmix the audio for my SBPro anyway and that
> > just coped with my SX/33 with SBPro.  That was a few years ago anyway.
>
> Yes, spot on. I've also built a juke box on a 486DX4/133 and it plays
> quite nicely, even with X running (Oroborus / Deskmenu) and using
> Digital DJ with a MySQL back end. Chugs along nicely.

mpg321 (and, to a lesser degree, mpg123) absolutely flogged my p166
(they needed to be at -20 to not skip ... most of the time). Admittedly
I was running KDE at the time, but hey. Freeamp is much, much less
CPU-intensive. Freeamp is good. Unfortunately it's much tighter than
mpg(123|321) on broken files (e.g. incomplete/whatever), so you may get
it bailing on a few.

--
Daniel Stone                                                <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<luca> aaronl, i have this site you should see...