On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, James wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I am wondering, is there any software I can use with Linux that can scramble
> everything on my hard disk while running in memory, so I can prepare for a
> new install? I want it to be impossible to recover deleted files.

Boot off a CD or single disk system such as toms root boot.
cat /dev/random >/dev/hda
will really scramble things but it will take a long time to go over the
whole disk. There'll be no partition table afterwards either.

> Also what of shredders? There is one in the gnome desktop, how does it work?
> Does it follow the blocks in the inode table and overwrite with garbage or
> whatever? If I were to write software like this, do I need to run it as a
> kernel module? Can I do it entirely in C by dereferencing pointers? I am
> still a bit of an amateur with assembly language.

Should be doable as a user mode application if you take this approach:-
rename the file
write random data over it several (maybe a dozen) times
delete the file
If the file was ever larger that it was when you deleted it you've got a
problem though, there's probably no way to find out those excess blocks
that were once used.

> And the software that recovers deleted files that the police use etc, know
> any programmes like this?

Never needed it myself.

--
Web: www.arcadia.au.com/gripz