Thank you very much for all your replies. You guys are tops!

Close examination of the documentation and the back panel of the unit revealed two
things: this model comes in two varieties, either 100/110/120V, or 220/230/240V. I've
got the later, and I can set it to 240 through a dipswitch in the back. Now I know
this model doesn't work at 11OV at all I'm not worried about its output being only
110V either. Once I sort out the plugs and sockets situation I should be good to go.
And while I'm not particularly handy with this sort of thing, I also remembered I know
a guy who's an electrician. He can expect a call soon :)

So this looks like the way to go. I still think I would have a good case for refund,
but my time and sanity are worth to me more than being vindicated. I'd rather deal
with plugs and cables than legalities and arguments.