On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 10:14:50PM +1100, Terry Collins ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Richard Sullivan wrote:
>
> > Can someone pls explain which  is better/easier to configure for Linux: USB
> > vs Serial modem ?

[snip]

>      4) Using a USB port for a modem is like driving a racing card in
> 1/100 gea, whereas serial ports as appropriately suited to serial speed.

I got to agree here. Its like putting a 365 (or a Diabolo or whatever of that kind)
on bicycle wheels ...... that great umpf but no go ....

The data coming into the so called "56K" modems is max 44K which is sooooooooo
much slower than the speed between a serial based modem and the computer it
is attached to (44k vs 115k).

Furthermore the UART buffer will allow to store ample of data
in case the CPU is busy doing something else.

On top of that the IRQ the modem is attached to isnt shared, which means that
the data WILL be taken off when the IRQ is raised .....

jobst

--
Gravity does not exist, the Earth sucks.

             __, Jobst Schmalenbach, [EMAIL PROTECTED], Technical Director
   _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L
 -(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia