On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 11 Mar, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> >  > Eh?  I use it all the time.  Unless you mean, "use groff instead"?  I
> >  > have to agree, that I think nowadays the groff version of troff is
> >  > better than the original, as of about last year.
> >
> >  No, don't use troff or groff.  There are _FAR_ better ways to lay out
> >  a document that don't have you learning incredibly obscure commands
> >  and syntax.  Troff has had its day.
> >
> >  > it's almost fast enough to do interactively.
> >
> >  My point precisely.  Use something that _IS_ interactive, or at least
> >  something that is a bit easier to learn.
>
> For a start, it's unusual to bother to learn to use raw troff.  One
> generally picks a macro package, and uses that instead.  I use mm, and
> man for man pages; some people like the me or ms macro packages.  A
> rare few write their own packages.
>
> All these packages are easier to learn than HTML, IMHO.
>
> Things like troff and TeX are good because they separate the layout from
> the input, and don't require manual intervention to construct the source
> files, and can easily use scripts and filters to do complex things that
> in Word, say, requires a monolithic piece of software with some added
> scripting language grafted on.
>
> troff and TeX and Lout follow the Unix philosophy (programs that you
> can use as building blocks or pieces in bigger systems), and still have
> their place, IMHO.  For some things they're better than WYSIWYG
> systems, for other purposes they're not.

I have a book on order "Text processing and typesetting with Unix"
that is one of the only books I can find on Troff thats NOT out of print..

Hopefully it will be a good one.. (if it ever turns up).

--
Anthony Rumble - Managing Director
EverythingLinux.com.au - The Alternative Operating System Store