On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:40:36PM +0000, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> On Mon 11 Mar, [EMAIL PROTECTED] bloviated thus:
>
> > Eh?  I use it all the time.  Unless you mean, "use groff instead"?  I
> > have to agree, that I think nowadays the groff version of troff is
> > better than the original, as of about last year.
>
> No, don't use troff or groff.  There are _FAR_ better ways to lay out
> a document that don't have you learning incredibly obscure commands
> and syntax.  Troff has had its day.

I have to disagree.

> > it's almost fast enough to do interactively.
>
> My point precisely.  Use something that _IS_ interactive, or at least
> something that is a bit easier to learn.

I find there are lots of situations where the simplest and/or fastest
way is to use groff. That includes any learning.

There are also lots of situations where it isn't. This would include
interactive and non-interactive usage.

Groff is not a shrine, an homage to the good old days. It is not a
case of bit rot, waiting for release from collective computer memories.

It remains, under certain circumstances, an optimum solution in a
trade-off between size, learning curve, usability, functionality and speed.

That it reamins so is a tribute to the original minds behind it.

Jamie