Given the strange goings on here, what is the consensus on upgrading this
system to RH7.2? Currently RH7.
Is it possible this would put back whatever is missing? Would I preserver
users, /home, /var /usr etc?

Any other gotchas in an upgrade that I should watch out for?

BTW I discovered that I can no longer write to the disk using SAMBA, well
that is not quite right I can create new files but can't rename or overwrite
others, actually that sounds like the problem that Sendmail has.