Terry Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [terryc@owl 2002]$ pdftex 20020417-perm.tex
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-13d (Web2C 7.3.1)
> (20020417-perm.tex[/usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg]
> Babel <v3.6Z> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
> ngerman, i
> talian, portuges, russian, spanish, nohyphenation, loaded.
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.4 \documentclass
>                   [a4paper,12pt]{report}
> ?
>
> And it repeats for every latex command

pdftex is "equivalent" to tex and can only run with plain TeX.  If your
LaTeX document doesn't include any EPS/PS, pdflatex should work.  Here is
template so that you can run both latex and pdflatex:

%% Preamble
\ifx\pdfoutput\undefined                % We're not running pdftex
\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{report}
\else
\documentclass[pdftex,a4paper,12pt]{report}
%% More options described in pdfTeX manual
\pdfcompresslevel=9
\pdfinfo
{ /Title (Title of Document)
  /Author (Your Name)
  /Subject (???)
  /Keywords (???)
}
\fi
\begin{document}
%% Example of including figures: pdflatex supports PDF, PNG and JPEG graphics
\begin{figure}
  \centering
  \ifx\pdfoutput\undefined
  \includegraphics{fig.eps}