On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 03:14:12PM +1000, Terry Collins wrote:
> Angus Lees wrote:

> > > Can I ask how?
> > > both pdftex & pdflatex just reject all the latex stuff with !undefined
> > > control sequence and the doco is no help.
> >
> > hmm.. it just works for me (unless you do something silly like try and
> > use pstricks)
>
> Okay, that means I'm fundamentally doing the correct thing. Just a few
> crinkles involved
>

> > what version of pdftex (--version) ?
>
> [terryc@owl 2002]$ pdftex -version
> pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159-0.13d

0.13d is *ancient* (by pdftex standards)

my (standard debian "unstable" tetex packages) have:
pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.7) 3.14159-1.00a-pretest-20011114-ojmw

iirc, the latest pdftex release is 1.00b-pretest and included in tex live.

its possible to compile a newer pdftex and drop it over an existing install
(i've done it). you have to remember to rebuild the pdflatex format, and
install the relevant .pool files - not just the pdftex binary.

> > which tex installation? version? (distro?)
>
> Whatever came on the RH7.1 CDs from Everything Linux. I haven't upgraded
> anything yet.

redhat use the latest stable release of tetex. everyone else (suse,
debian, tex live) are using tetex-beta.

the only places where tex is evolving fast enough these days for that to
be a problem is pdftex and context. if you need either of these, always
look around for a newer version.

it looks like thomas esser will be releasing a new "stable" version of
tetex fairly soon though.

--
 - Gus