Sadly you have to make do with what you are allowed to work with.
It all depends on how "educated" the IT manager is.
At times you will have to deal with M$ crud.
others you will have to deal with extremely old OSes like
SCO 5.0.5. I really Wish I had the luxury to say to my bosses
it's linux or it's me. I know their preference :)

Realisticly *hic* Businesses are Dinosours that plod along until they
find something that will extend their life.

Sorry if there are typos I have had 2 bottles of red.

:)