Voytek Eymont wrote:

> I've altered the file path from /var/whatever to /home/www
> after I started Apache, browser says /permission denied'
> error log has 'file permiss. deny server access'
> who should own these file, user 'apache' ? directory owwner ?

The user that httpd runs as (usually httpd, amazingly enough).
Do:  ps uxwa | grep http     to find out,

or look in httpd.conf for the following:

User XXX
Group YYY

> what permissions do I need to set for public web pages ?

Readable by the httpd process.

Suggestion: login to your server as the same user that the httpd runs
as, and try to access the web files. Any problems will show up immediately ;)

> is that what chmod is for ?

yes.

> can I chmod recusrively all /home/adomain.com/* ?

yes. try 'man chmod' and pay attention to the -R option

> do I need web-path directoried chmod'ed with excecute permissions ?

of course. otherwise the directories cannot be traversed.