** Reply to note from Rick Welykochy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Mon, 07 Oct 2002 14:00:15
+1000

> The user that httpd runs as (usually httpd, amazingly enough).
> Do:  ps uxwa | grep http     to find out,
>
> or look in httpd.conf for the following:
>
> User XXX
> Group YYY
>

> > what permissions do I need to set for public web pages ?
>
> Readable by the httpd process.
>
> Suggestion: login to your server as the same user that the httpd runs
> as, and try to access the web files. Any problems will show up immediately ;)

thanks, Rick

httpd.conf is set for apache/apache

apache was created by the install/setup stuff, is there a way to determine
it's password, or, do I just reset it ?

if I creata a user, and, do NOT set a password for that users: is there
some default password ? or, UNTIL I set a password, that user can not log
in ?

sorry, I'm very new to multi user file system, takes a while to get
used...

ok, chown and chmod is fine, but, what tells me who owns what, what are the
current permissions ?

tia,

Voytek Eymont
SBT Information Systems Pty Ltd
http://www.sbt.net.au/links/
phone +61-2 9310-1144 fax +61-2 9310-1118