OK I am a bit stumped, and awk is certainly not my forte

I have an awk script the uses the system("vim " variablehere) function to
call vim, the point being to edit a file manually and then get back to the
awk script.

Now when this runs I get a "Warning: Input is not from the terminal" from
vim, and then it jumps straight back to the awk script. I am guessing that a
filehandle is open or some sort or redirection is causing this but I am not
to sure.

Does any-one have any ideas? Is there anyway I can get some debugging
information from awk and vim to find out what is going on.

Dan