On 17 Oct 2002, John McQuillen wrote:

> So the brain-dead admins at St George Internet Banking are going to
> implement a user-agent check to prevent me from accessing Internet
> Banking from my Linux System (which currently works fine with St George
> Internet Banking thank-you-very-much), which, of course, I am going to
> have to circumvent by changing the user-agent on my browser. Send me to
> gaol if you like...

It gets better.

I use St George internet banking all the time - I hate visiting branches
for routine stuff, especially with the huge queues you have to put up with
these days.

One day, while I was attempting to logon, the site was plainly down.
Wouldn't even respond to PING's.

I called their helpdesk to enquire, and the conversation went something
like this {obviously, not verbatum}.

"Helpdesk, can I help you?"
"Yeah, your internet banking site seems to be down - could you tell me if
there's a known problem?
"What operating system are you using?"
"Linux - what does that..."
"Sorry - we don't support that operating system - please try using a
supportwe operating system/browser"
CLICK

Their administrators are brain dead - when I emailed a complaint about
this via their online form, I got a reply which basically said "We don;t
support Linux - go away" - completely ignoring tjhe fact that the problem
clearly wasn't browser/OS related.

DaZZa