Terry,

as Paul Daniels and othes have mentioned, everyone has their preferences
regarding linux distributions and mail server software (MTA). This is
probably not what you need to consider.

Instead, I'd work from the other direction. Once you have the mailserver
working, you'll want to maintain it. Your company will replace staff,
software will need upgrading, you may want to add further functionality.
So, the first thing to do is to look at who will be managing the system.
There are few things more discomforting than unmanaged, internet
connected servers, IMHO. Your objective is to implement a solution that
will be manageable. That means that the distribution and MTA need to be
ones that the administrator is comfortable with.

If you are looking at having someone else build the system, make sure
that they either
 - maintain the system
 - provide adequate instruction in maintenance.

What you don't want is to have someone build you a mailserver, plug it
in and leave you to fend for yourself. With foresight, you can set up a
system that will require very little maintenance.

In short, a well maintained but less "hard core" installation is better
than a poorly maintained ultra "hard core" installation.

BTW, if I were implementing this, I'd install Debian/postfix. While
Debian is less user friendly during install, I like its maintainability.
And I'd install postfix because I know it. Once debian is installed,
your maintenance is pretty low stress.....

Seb