Most linux distributions are free...thats not just a Mandrake thing.
One thing mandrake might have over other distributions is that it has
been optimised for Pentium architectures where as redhat and others have
no optimisation for any specific architecture and therefore will work on
just about any system from 3x86 upward.

If the machine you wish to set up is simple only a mail server then you
wont want a bloated distribution with all the fancy frills...you'll want
a light weight rock solid distribution...something like slackware or
debian might be a good choice..

As far as ease of configuration and administration goes...mail servers
on linux can be bastards as far as i'm concerned. I run Qmail here at
home, but i've also played with Sendmail and Postfix. I think you should
find which ever one has the least security/bug issues and use that, and
install a remote administration tool to help you configure/administer
the server...like webmin(as someone else already mentioned).