> >         I've been having some weird problems with Gnome.  I'm not sure if
> > gdm is the culprit or something else is.  I am currently useing gnome2.2
> > backported to debian 3.0.
>
> >         UserA: Uses startx to start an Xsession
> >         UserB: uses 'startx -- :1' to start an Xsession
>
> So, if you're using startx, you're not using GDM. :-) I would recommend
> turning on GDM, and using the flexiservers feature: In the System Tools
> menu, choose "New login" - it will create a new X server with a login
> dialogue, and lock the current X server.

Well it has the same effect with gdm, (if userA logs in GDM it doesn't
work)

> It's cool stuff. :-)

That doesn't work either:
        - Clicking System Tools->New Login activates the screensaver on
          my current session and the monitor flickers like X restarted,
          but doesn't create a new login window.
        - System Tools->New Login in a nested window works fine.

> (Not sure what the problem is with the startx approach though - perhaps look
> at .xsession-errors or something to see the error logs.)

Nothing looks bad - basically no errors in either .xession-errors, or
XFree86.1.Log.  Essentially it appears something is waiting for
something else to startup - some sort of deadlock or something.

        nash
--
Brett Nash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.