> > XFree86.1.Log.  Essentially it appears something is waiting for something
> > else to startup - some sort of deadlock or something.
>
> Are you trying to log on as the same user (it doesn't sound like it)?
> Perhaps check the date of the other XFree86.*.log files -> .1 doesn't
> necessarily mean :1...

If I start as the same user - no problem (however this is of limited
use).  The log file is the correct one.  (It even tells me on stderr
when I start X).

Basically something in gnome-session doesn;t work.  My best guess is
that gnome-session is trying to do something with the display :0.  This
will work fine for the same user as the xauth file will be fine, but if
it's a different user - no luck.

I had the same problem before, and I assumed it was something screwed in
my xfree setup (I'd had other strange problems with X previously), so I
reinstalled debian, and am now getting the same problem.  So either I've
recreated the same weirdness, or its a weird pacakge problem.

        Regards,
        nash

--
Brett Nash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.