On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 09:43:27AM +1100, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:

Damien,

Please wrap your lines.  740 character lines are a little hard to read

> inracing.com.au.        2592    IN      MX      10 mail.isa.net.au.
> inracing.com.au.        2592    IN      MX      20 mx2.isa.net.au.
> inracing.com.au.        2592    IN      MX      200 mx2.vector.net.au.

> Then mx2.isa.net.au goes to deliver it to mail.isa.net.au, gets a
> temporary reject, and instead of going 'oh, theres no lower valued
> mailservers than me for this domain, ill just queue it for a while', as
> I would expect, it's delivering it to a higher valued mailserver,

This where it's going wrong.  mx2.isa.net.au should only deliver to
mail.isa.net.au, never to mx2.vector.net.au.  As long as sendmail has
been configured to relay for a domain, it should then use the MX
records to figure out where to deliver mail for that domain.

> Is my understanding of the basics of MX preferences wrong (aka a

No.

> I messed up the config on mx2.isa ?

It looks like it.  It might be sendmail's config or it might be DNS.
Do an MX DNS query for inracing.com.au on mx2.isa.net.au.  Does that
return the correct preference values for each host?

Cheers,

John
--
whois [EMAIL PROTECTED]