<quote who="Stewart">

> now i'm turning into a debhead, can someone 'please explain' exactly what
> the difference between apt-get/dpkg/dselect is and how they work together?
> to my mind three commands aint as 'simple elegance' as one rpm one. :-)

Okay:

  dpkg:

    Basic package management functions such as install/remove/replace, etc.
    At the same level as rpm(1) in the package management stack. Nothing
    much to write home about; at this level, the interesting differences are
    in the actual deb/rpm file formats.

  apt-get:

    Basic network-aware package installation/management tool which handles
    dependencies and OS-integration. CLI-based, it is basically on the same
    level as urpmi and up2date, but is arguably more useful (lots of other
    features that make it 'nice').

  dselect:

    An attempt to provide a sensible user interface (ncurses-based) to
    package management on apt-based systems.

  apititude:

    Another attempt to provide a sensible user interface (ncurses-based) to
    package mangement on apt-based systems.

There are lots of other packages that provide what dselect and aptitude are
designed to, such as synaptic, aptivate, etc., etc... But I don't think
anyone has managed to find the right combination of simplicity and usability
to steal me away from apt-get. Sad, but true.

- Jeff

--
   "I think hot Chinese girls who kick ass are the wave of the future, as
                      far as films go." - Cody Russell