On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Mike MacCana">
>
> > Of course, the ability of those packages to integrate with the rest of the
> > system is fairly limited if they're turned into dumb archives by a program
> > such as alien, which, when run on an rpm based system, will turn rpm into
> > effectively dumb archives in dpkg format - having no dependency
> > information whatsoever and removing the purpose of having a packaging
> > system in the first place.
>
> LSB packages are not designed to completely integrate regardless of the
> native OS packaging system. Think about it - SuSE, Mandrake, Red Hat, they
> all use RPM as their package format, but their packages are all alarmingly
> different.

> The LSB *must* define a format for packages that work across LSB-compliant
> operating environments, but it *cannot* define how they integrate. It would
> be a far more intrusive standard if it attempted to do that.

It would be a far more effective standard if they did that. Standard
namign conventions for packages is a simple matter of p[olicy and easily
decided. Choosing a standard packaging format to record this information
is a logical first step to making Linux an Operating system. Not a hundred
and fifty of them.

> So, regardless of the native packaging format, LSB packages will islands. :)

If you meant *are* islands, then yes. But that's nto a desirable
situation.

> Again, it is a subtle difference, but a crucial one. If you don't understand
> it fully,

I do. You just don't seem to be listening to what I'm saying. This isn't a
matter of

> try shipping a few LSB packages across LSB-compliant OSes: They
> end up as useful as tarballs with metadata, which provides far less than the
> full capabilities provided by RPM packages designed for a particular
> platform.

You'd get library dependencies, standard installation / uninstallation,
file verification, upgrades, and a bunch of other stuff - excepting
package dependencies which the LSB does not *yet* deal with. A good
start though. What you don't understand is that I don't find the
situation you've described as desirable: no system administrator would.
Dependencies are part of the Linux and its both possible and reasonable
for the LSB to do so. But one step at a time.

> This really has nothing to do with the RPM format, the deb format, dpkg, rpm
> or particular distributions. It's not a religious issue.

Indeed. It is a matter of being able to package and track thousands of
applications that will over time be written not for
$RANDOMDISTROOFTHEMONTH but for Linux as a Real Grown Up OS - aka, the
LSB.

Mike