<quote who="Mike MacCana">

> I find most people who bitch and moan about Red Hat (or Linux, as RPM is
> the standard packaging format for that OS).

This is inaccurate, and you've said it before.

To clarify, the RPM format was chosen as the standard format for LSB
packages, rather than as the "standard packaging format for Linux". The LSB
makes it very clear that a distro (or operating system - Solaris x86 could
well be LSB compliant one day) may use whatever packaging system it wants,
but to be LSB compliant, LSB packages must install and work regardless.

Subtle, but important for an accurate reading of the LSB and what it
requires.

- Jeff

--
    "... Of course, compared with Holly Valance, who has beams of light
     shooting from her nipples, it all seems rather quaint now." - Rove