On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 17:34, Piers Wren wrote:
> I'm trying to come up with a nice way to intigrate a linux mail server
> into an existing win2k LAN. Basically what i want is for mail to be
> hosted on a nice reliable linux box, but for users to be able to use
> their existing win2k usernames and passwords to access their mail
> (imap/pop).
>
> I've looked at the main smtp servers i know (qmail, sendmail, postfix,
> exim) and imap (uw-imap, couier imap) and nobody seems to mention
> anything similar to this. About the closest I can find is PAM
> authentication in courier.

For mail retrieval (pop, imap), get the server to use pam, and have
pam_smb or pam_winbind configured to talk to your Windows box. This is
really straight-forward, and works well.

> 1. Is there a better way to do this?
> 2. does the linux box itself have to use the winbind pam module, or can
> courier use it regardless?

You can choose which pam modules to use per service, see /etc/pam.d/

> 3. If i don't use winbind for the linux login, how will the smtp server
> know what the valid accounts are for receiving mail?

That's slightly more challenging. :-) I'd recommend using your MTA's
LDAP support to talk to Active Directory.

- Jeff

--
Fear and Loathing in Dublin, Ireland