I've been trying to download the 1.1.8 jdk from ibm, but their server is
timing out, does anyone know where else I could get it from?

I can't seem to find it on the sun site.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/cgi-bin/click.cgi?url=http://www.ibm.com/java/jdk/118/linux/index.html&origin=j

Regards

Rob T