On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 10:38:27AM +1000, James Gray wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:30 am, Robert Tillsley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi Guys
> >
> > I just installed debian (well the bits that seemed to work).
> > I've been able to log into the console, but I wouldn't mind seeing if the
> > GUI is up.
> >
> > All I can remember about how to get into a gui is xstart, but that
> > doesn't work. Anyone know what command I need?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Rob T
>
> Try "apt-get install xbase-clients"
>
> The xbase-clients package contains all that "startx" good stuff.  If there
> are any unmet dependancies apt will take care of those too.  After all the
> blinking and whirring is done, try "startx".  If you get errors,
> specifically about unable to find a default font etc, try "apt-get install
> xfonts-base" for some reason my last Debian (Woody) installation this
> wasn't included....go figure.

There is another way, that should setup most everything for you
automatically.  On x86, anyway...

$ apt-get install discover mdetect read-edid x-window-system
$ dpkg -P --force-depends xserver-xfree86 xfree86-common
$ apt-get install xserver-xfree86 xfree86-common

That *should* get you going, even from a fairly broken configuration :)

--
Rob Weir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?