> > using Gentoo or LFS (scary thought) for a production Linux server is
> > probably the dumbest thing you'll ever do involving Linux... the
> > maintenance nightmare alone... gcc optimisation levels don't make a
> > massive difference from a lot of real-world POVs, I'd like to see some
> > useful real benchmarks but it still wouldn't be worth the hassle of a
> > re-building everything from source just to get that small improvement..
> > it would probably have to be worth 10-15% speed to make it worth the
> > hassle.. you know you can also re-build RH and Debian with higher
> > optimisations you could in theory get all the RH SRC RPM and --rebuild
> > them with higher opts on ..

We used to have about 70, more or less, Linux and FreeBSD servers and
gateways.

We started to deploy these servers in 1993 when the fastest CPU was 386sx.
We
used Yggdrasill distro when Linux was version 0.98. Then, we switched to
Slackware two years later when Linux was version 1.+.

And  we always build the kernel from scratch. It takes several hours like
half a day or
more to rebuild at that time. At this time, it takes less than an hour on
fast PCs.

We rebuild to optimise, i.e., take away the unnecessary bits and pieces or
modules, to make the kernel leaner and faster.

We also rebuild for security and to standardise administration. When the
kernel is simpler there are less modules to be concerned about as far as
security
management is concerned. It is also simpler to administer  because when
things
went wrong we focused our investigation on fewer modules rather than the
entire
range of modules that came with the distro including those we never hope to
get
understanding about.

A third reason to rebuild was for specific configurations requirements. A
number of our
firewalls were running on these Linux and FreeBSD and our configuration
requirements
are to disable IP Forwarding and multicasting which is by default set to ON,
amongst
other requirements.

We also build, rebuild, and upgrade servers on a periodic basis.

Is it that difficult to manage ? Not at all.

We had a toolbox of scripts that we used to rebuild depending on the
configuration.
Once, the distro is installed we run the specific script and leave the
machine alone
until the job is completed.

I have not used the Gentoo myself but I've used a couple of their scripts
which I
grabbed from the Internet. These two scripts have saved me tremendous time
and
effort.

So, after all, Gentoo's are like nice guys to me. And so, are most Linux
distro's.

Oscar Plameras
http://www.acay.com.au/~oscarp/disclaimer.html