On 13 Aug, John Clarke wrote:
>  Shut down sshd on coo, start it on posh, and telnet to port 22 on posh
>  (from both coo and posh).  You should get the openssh prompt:
>
>      [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ telnet localhost 22
>      Trying 127.0.0.1...
>      Connected to localhost.
>      Escape character is '^]'.
>      SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.1p1
>
>      Protocol mismatch.
>      Connection closed by foreign host.
>
>  Now start sshd on coo, shut it down on posh, and telnet to port 22 on
>  coo (from both hosts again).  You should get the same results.
>
>  Then try logging in with ssh.  Does it connect to the right host?  Then
>  make sure sshd is running on both hosts and do it again.  Does it still
>  connect to the right host?

Thanks, this shows some weird results.  With sshd running on coo
(192.168.1.101), and on posh (182.168.1.100), if I telnet to coo on
port 22 I get:

: /home/luke; telnet coo 22
Trying 192.168.1.101...
Connected to coo.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.1p1

I don't believe this, since coo has openssh 3.4 installed, not 3.1!

If I do it to posh I get:

: /home/luke; telnet localhost 22
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.1p1

If I shut down sshd on posh and try to connect to coo I get:

: /home/luke; telnet coo 22
Trying 192.168.1.101...
telnet: connect to address 192.168.1.101: Connection refused

If I also shut down sshd on coo, of course nothing changes.

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.1.100   posh.localdomain        posh
192.168.1.101   coo.localdomain coo

Any idea how on earth this is happening?!

luke