On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 06:57:06PM +1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> You're 100% correct.  They've each been assigned the other's IP address.

:-)

> Okay, thanks, I will try to prod dhcp to get this sorted.

If I'd realised you were using dhcp to assign addresses I'd have
suggested that you look at the ip addresses earlier.

> They're both given IP addresses from the firewall during boot via dhcp,
> starting at 192.168.1.100, and I also have /etc/hosts manually
> configured and boot posh first so that posh `always' (but not this
> time!) gets assigned .100, and coo .101.

Now that's ugly, and you can't guarantee it'll work.  You can tell
dhcpd to serve static addresses based on mac address, e.g.:

    host posh
    {
        hardware ethernet xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;
        fixed-address 192.168.1.100;
        option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
        option domain-name "localdomain";
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
    }

    host coo
    {
        hardware ethernet xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;
        fixed-address 192.168.1.101;
        option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
        option domain-name "localdomain";
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
    }

You can get the mac address with:

    ifconfig eth0|awk '/HWaddr/ {print $5}'

> This is ugly, I know.  Perhaps I should rely on the firewall 100% and
> remove the entries in /etc/hosts?

If you're running named on the firewall then you can set it up to
provide name service for your local domain and get rid of the extra
entries in the hosts files.

Cheers,

John
--