On 13 Aug, John Clarke wrote:
>  On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 01:41:19PM +1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Is there a good information resource on setting up host keys and user
> > keys?  I find the man pages don't quite describe how to do that, and
> > nor do the FAQs I could find via Google or on the OpenSSH web site.
>
>  If you're using Redhat, just install the openssh-server packages.  The
>  host keys are generated when the package is installed.  Other distros
>  may do something similar.

[Lots of detailed advice omitted]

Thanks John for all that info, and Jan for the
http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s-ssh
link.

I'll have a go at it now.

Note that the info on that link, and the man page, still omits
important info.  E.g. in the description of the Host section, and the
patterns that can be used to nominate hosts, there's no mention of what
the pattern separator is when you specify more than one host.  I'll
guess that it's white space rather than a comma.

Interesting that installing openssh on RH via apt-get install openssh
didn't create or install a host key ...

Come to think of it, I forgot to manually transfer the newly-generated
public host key from each machine and add it to a
/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts file on each machine.

Still, the reversed logins is so strange I should start again from
scratch anyway.

luke