Del <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Your email address makes my skin crawl :)

>> Hi Sluggers:
>> see "HTTP_REFERER", then how do I get the script to capture the
>> "hop=some_data" ?
>
> OK, read this answer as more philosophical than anything else.

One of the strengths of FOSS is its community and support. That support
comes in many flavours, there's commercial support, web sites, news and
mailing list archives, books (online and dead tree) and live news groups
and mailing lists.

One of the most important skills to learn is how to find and use the
support that's available. If you only use one of the available support
options, you're not utilising of one FOSS's strengths to your advantage.

Unless there is some reason to write your web site from scratch in perl,
there might be better alternatives. embperl and html-mason come to mind
for perl options, they might have the features you're trying to write
already built in and well tested. They both have strong communities that
have been there, done that. Zope and php are another alternative to
perl, php in particular has a very strong community and all of the
features you want already built. There's a lot of knowledge about
building web sites within the php community, even if you don't want to
use php, you can learn a lot about designing web sites (and programs in
general) from them.

And there's probably stacks of open source "shopping cart", etc,
applications kicking around. A good thing to do is research what other
people are using and how they are using them, and popularity should also
be taken in to account (but shouldn't be the only thing to look at).