On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 08:15:23AM +1000, David wrote:
> Is there a way of figuring out what IP numbers are located in .au?
>
> I know I can reverse look up and test for .au but that doesn't always
> work. I assume that somewhere there must be a list of allocations.

ARIN keeps a list of first-level allocations.  A whois query to
whois.arin.net for the IP address of interest should provide you with a
record, from which you can retrieve the country code and see if it evaluates
to AU.  Try it - run 'whois 203.1.2.3 | grep "^country:"' in a terminal.
Lovely.   Repeat with any IP address you like, maybe even write a bit of awk
or sed or something to strip out everything except the country code.

Problem is, that ARIN (like most whois operators) doesn't want everyone
hammering their whois servers, so if you make more than a certain number of
queries in a certain time period, the server will just stop answering you
for a while (a day or two, normally).  Not what you're after, I'm sure.

So some companies have stepped up to the plate to fill the void.  There are
several databases which have collated all of the ARIN info (or by some other
means) and put it into a database for your use.  You can get a lot of them
by googling for "IP Address country database" (at least, it worked well for
me about 20 seconds ago).  Most of them appear to cost some money.

Hope this speeds you on your quest.

- Matt