On 2 Oct 2003, Glen Turner wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 10:46, David wrote:
>
> > It's not hard to find out where a given ip number comes from, but I was
> > looking for a simple generic test - eg: all .au numbers are in the range
> > 203.1.0.0
>
> It's not possible to tell where a host is coming from
> based upon its IP address and the entry in whois.
> For example, IBM have a single allocation, they use
> that for their entire global network.  Similarly for
> other multinationals.  The records are also not
> maintained particularly well -- you'll find most
> users of the Internet >7 years are all registered
> in the US.

Depends if they provide internal allocations to countries or not. It
suffices to say that nothing is 100% with the internet. Like you I would
have thought BGP probably the best gamble but what's stopping people using
another country's satelites & dialup connections. Plus basically you're
trusting anonymous third parties to provide information about routing even
with BGP. It's just they have a vested interest in getting it at least
mostly correct.

> But why look at the IP address?  TCP maintains an
> estimate of the round-trip time for a connection.
> Australia pretty much only connects to other
> countries through the west coast of the USA, a
> latency of >90ms.  So any TCP connection with
> a RTT ~> 200ms is pretty certain to be foreign.
> The Web100 project has kernel hacks to let you
> get this data from the kernel and utilities to
> let you log all TCP connections.

<cough> you gotta be kidding right? by that logic our office must be on
the moon at the moment. We're converting our ADSL over and for the moment
are stuck on a modem that's rather saturated. Even going a few hops back
up the route could be problematic, although I suppose going from the other
end would be sufficient.

--
Electronic Hobyist, Former Arcadia BBS nut, Occasonal nudist,