On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 11:16:25AM +1000, David wrote:

> It's not hard to find out where a given ip number comes from, but I was
> looking for a simple generic test - eg: all .au numbers are in the range
> 203.1.0.0

One of the pre-compiled databases and a bit of script and you'll be away.

I *think* that all of 203/8 is Australian, but sub-blocks within there could
have been allocated elsewhere.  Certainly 202/7 is allocated to APNIC, which
is our part of the world.

But unfortunately, you'll run into troubles because smaller blocks in
various places can be allocated to Australian entities - do a whois on
150.101.1.1, for instance, to see the sort of chunks that get allocated to
people.  Not pretty.

- Matt