From: "Mike MacCana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 05:40, Oscar Plameras wrote:
> > I hardly use 'rpm' to build components and applications because
> > I follow the latest versions of  'apache', 'php',  'mysql',
'cyrus-sasl',
> > 'ldap', 'postfix', and 'horde' and I cannot be bothered  building rpms.
>
> That's a very interesting comment, and one that's pretty common. IIRC,
> all the apps you've mentioned use GNU autoconf. Since RPM is designed
> around building from source (including macros that run configure and
> make with options to specify correct FHS locations, install files in a
> temporary dir for later capture for includion in a package, and compile
> with particular options) it shouldn't take you more than a minute to
> package any of these applications from source.
>
> I'm not a Linux expert by any means, but I find it trivially easy to
> package just about anything - I build a lot of applications from source,
> and like being able to install them in (what I percieve to be) the
> correct fashion - installableon other systems, uninstallable, with
> upgrading and querying and verification and all that other useful stuff.
>
> I suggest you (and most Linux users who know how to build from source
> unpackaged, but not create RPMs) take a look at RPM again. It really
> isn't that hard.

You described it so easy to build components using 'rpms'. Are you able
to post a packaging script that is readily modifiable with building 'HORDE'
and all its components ? As you probably know, 'HORDE' with all its
components are dependent on all the applications that I mentioned
plus more.

I have shell (not rpms) scripts that I kick off each time I want to build
'HORDE' with each newer versions as they become available.

I would be most grateful if you can and thanks.

Oscar Plameras
http://www.acay.com.au/~oscarp/disclaimer.html