On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:13:46PM +1100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said
> I started off with Yggdrasil Linux and switched over to RH at about
> release 4.0 I think, and have been using it ever since.  I tried Debian
> a long time ago, and swore off it due to dselect (yes, I hated it that
> much).

There have been alternative frontends for yonks.  apt-get and aptitude
are probably the two most popular.

> So to some degree, I am suffering because I don't want to spend the
> time on a complete release upgrade (because in my experience they never
> "just work".  It's better to install on a new partition and gradually
> configure things again.)

Heh, foolish non-Debian user :-)

> So again, the key issue for me is ease of administration/maintenance,
> and the longevity of the source that you'll get your packages from.
> Maybe it will be Fedora, if they run the project well.  Maybe it will
> be Debian if they speed up their development.  Don't know how you
> include impure software packages transparently in the Debian universe.

This is less of a problem than you think, since almost anything you
could possibly want is already packaged.  If it's not, then you have a
bunch of options:

1) file a ITP (intend to package) bug and package it yourself
2) file a RFP (request for package) bug and hope someone else does it
   for you
3) Create an el-dodgo deb with "checkinstall", which will at least be
   cleanly installable and removable
4) Install it into /usr/local/ with "stow"
5) Slop it wherever you like

Oh, and don't forget to check http://www.apt-get.org/, too.

</debianadvocacy>

--
Rob Weir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:   ASLET SEAL Team 6 Montenegro MD4 Aldergrove Ortega Manfurov