Dave Airlie wrote:

There is nothing that says that you have to allow your employees to have
email access other than that which is work related.

They might scream, but screw them...

Their screams are sweet music to the BOFH, and me >:-)

Now picture this, you are the IT admin and you've no personal e-mail at
work, and no web access except for work related things? why should the IT
department be different from everyone else? it these things are
enforceable you have to remember the system aren't yours they are the
companies, you are under the same law as everyone else... I find a lot ppl
who work in IT departments have a lot more breakages of the AUP than most
others :-)

Dave.

True. I am also subject to the AUP. However, I need SSH for my job, SSH can forward ports and thus my life will go on as normal. Most of what I do is shell-based anyway (mutt, slrn, nethack etc), so not using a GUI to "surf" isn't a particular problem for me. Besides, what I can't get on my systems at work, I can easily access from a shell account on one of the many systems I have sucking electrons at home.

I agree with you about most AUP breaches occurring in IT departments though. We do because we can :P

--James