On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:20 pm, Billy Kwong wrote:
> James,
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Anyone know a good resource for upgrading a woody box to the 2.6.x
> > kernels?
> >
> > I installed a backported 2.6.4 (from backports.org) and now a bunch of
> > stuff is either broken fatally or throwing errors.
> >
> > The /etc/init.d/networking script wont work - ifup and dhclient both
> > complain about the kernel version and refuse to work.  "pump" is ok
> > though.
>
> As Steve would have said, check your module names.

The module is still the same (8139too) but the dhclient complains about
"unrecognized kernel version" and wont get a DHCP lease.  But like I said
earlier, "pump eth0" does the trick....now to rewrite the init scripts I
guess (or is there a way to switch to pump without needing to get down and
dirty with the networking subsystem/scripts??)

> > The nfs stuff complains that "mount" is older than the kernel.
>
> I have that even under unstable. :(

Grrr - you'd think an updated "mount" could be compiled....but that's
probably over-simplifying it.

> > There's other weirdness happening with my firewire and USB stuff too.
>
> Check the names of your USB host modules. It's called [enu]hci-hcd in the
> 2.6 kernels. I guess it's similar for Firewire.

Ah - that explains it :)  Fixed that bit now - thanks.

> I'm now running 2.6 kernels on unstable boxes, couldn't be happier. :)

Yeh, I'm thinking I might rebuild this machine with Unstable/Sarge - I need
more recent stuff anyway.

James
--
Fortune cookies says:
"If I ever get around to writing that language depompisifier, it will change