Hi Luke

Both the nv and the binary nvidia drivers should work, I have
an MSI MX440 so this does not have TV out. This is obviously
not an FX chip set though from documentation that I have read
both MX and FX chipsets are supported by both nv and binary
drivers.

For the binary driver there are a couple of tips in the README
that is included in the tar from nvidia.

When I compile a new kernel I do not include Frame Buffer in the
config and the Binary drivers if you want them are available from
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html

I also found that playing around with the hsync, vsync in
XFree-config help you can get ideas of out of range problems
from
 /var/log/XFree86.0.log

Darren