      From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
      Sent: Friday, 30 April 2004 11:32 AM
      To: Slug List
      Subject: [SLUG] Server being used to relay emails

      Hi -

      Got a little problem.  =)

      We are getting reports back from other servers on the net saying our message from something like [EMAIL PROTECTED] was rejected because of an attached virus.

      Our server is running Linux 7.3 and it has only started happening in the last few months.

      Our other workstations use our server as an outgoing mail server, but all workstations use 'VirusBuster II' which updates itself automatically at intervals as close as every 15 mins (usually once every couple days on average though) - workstations are running WindowsXP

      Has anyone got ANY idea on what could be happening? Has our linux server got a virus? (!?!!?!!) Is someone using our machine as an open relay? (I did take steps to stop that, and abuse.net reports our server as fine) Are our WinXP machines infected regardless of our anti-virus software?

      Can someone please help?

      I need to find some angles of attack to solve the problem. I guess it's not really urgent, but the sooner we fix it, the better!  =)

      I will appreciate all help.

      If you have a good idea on what the problem may be, please email me directly (as well?) because sometimes I seem to miss some messages from the SLUG list... want to make sure I get it =)

      Thanks again!

      Jared Pritchard

      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

       << File: ATT00026.txt >>