Chris Freeman wrote:
John Clarke wrote:

My usual response is something like this sent to the postmaster at the

site which sent the virus notification:

  > WARNING! Your message was infected by VIRUS:
  > Worm.SomeFool.Z

Well done. You bloody idiot.

I just want to accentuate this point. If you are a mail server administrator TURN OFF NOTIFICATION!

...and here's the "me too" follow-up :P

This problem with spoofed/faked senders being sent notifications cannot be emphasised heavily enough. The number of lobotomised amoebas out there who are "managing" (*cough*) mail servers is startling. Out of the 15,000-20,000 messages a day that go through the corporate gateway, about 70% is spam. Of that spam, 45-55% are "notices" to faked senders! Or roughly 1/3 of the mail volume, by message count, is crap from badly configured servers!

This whole thing has been a topic of concern on a number of SMTP/sendmail/etc mailing list and usenet groups I subscribe to. Glad it finally made a showing on SLUG. :)

--James